In other posts I defined obesity and explained how it can harm our health.
Some people who are overweight just want to lose the excess weight and are not that concerned about the health risk if they don’t. No wonder the weight loss business is a multi-million (billion?) industry. When patients ask me for weight loss help, I tell them if I knew a 100% successful method for losing weight, I would be wealthy, and probably not working anymore. I have patients who successfully lose weight, with and without my help, and unfortunately just as many who don’t. Most of the ones who lose weight do it simply-
- They change what, how much, and how they cooked and ate.
- They start,increase, and continue being physically active.
How one woman lost weight and regained her life
In the May 2015 issue of American Family Physician, a doctor shared the story of a woman whose life events made her feel sad and overwhelmed; she turned to food for comfort. Combined with a sedentary lifestyle, she gained weight. After a health scare, she took her doctor’s advice to see a nutritionist and begin exercising- 10 minutes daily.
For her emotional turmoil she turned to a counsellor, her rabbi and friends.
“I saw a counselor every week who let me cry and express my emotions.”
As her sadness lessened, her motivation to take better care of herself returned. Here is what she did and recommends to journey into fitness and weight loss.
- Remove junk food from the house; replace with healthier choices.
- Keep chopped up fruit and vegetables available in the refrigerator.
- Bake, broil, poach, or steam meats and vegetables.
- Eat from small plates.
- Try different activities- walking, dancing, exercise videos,
- Find a role model to inspire you.
sharing the HEART of living healthy
These are affiliate links you may find helpful and which help fund this blog with a commission when a purchase is made using them.