In 2016 I wrote about the 3 physicians who ran for President of the United States that year. None of them won but in observance of National Doctors’ Day this month I’m reviewing their stories with updates on what they are doing now.
Holding the office of President is our country’s highest honor but the job of president has become so thankless I wonder why anyone wants to do it. But I am grateful that people are willing to do it, as well as other government positions, both elected and appointed.
These profiles are for your “information and inspiration”, and do not imply endorsement or recommendation by me .
Jill Stein, M.D., internist
Dr. Jill Stein was the Green Party candidate for President.
About Dr. Stein
- Dr. Stein graduated from Harvard Medical School.
- Her hobbies include writing and performing music.
- She also ran for President in 2012, also on the Green Party ticket.
- She is a physician’s wife, mother, internal medicine physician/teacher and “environmental-health advocate.”
- She developed the “Healthy People, Healthy Planet” teaching program.
- She has been interviewed on the Today Show, 20/20 and Fox News network.
- In Massachusetts she ran for Governor, State Representative and Secretary of State.
- She co-founded the Massachusetts Coalition for Healthy Communities, a non-profit organization.
- Her personal interests include ecology, social justice, grassroots democracy, and non-violence.
- She has advocated for several environmental issues in her home state-
- Mercury contamination of fish
- The “Filthy Five” coal plants clean up
- Mercury and dioxin contamination from burning trash
Since the election, Dr. Stein continues to speak out on national issues @DrJillStein. On her Facebook page, she is described as
medical doctor, mother on fire,
activist for people, planet, and peace over profit
Dr. Jill Stein is the recipient of several awards, including Clean Water Action’s “Not in Anyone’s Backyard” Award, the Children’s Health Hero Award, and the Toxic Action Center’s Citizen Award.
In a recent interview, Dr. Stein indicated she does not plan to run for president in 2020.
Other physician candidates
Thanks for reading this post. Please join me for another post about PRACTICE TO POLITICS coming in a few days.