In 2016 I wrote about the 3 physicians who ran for President of the United States that year. None of them won but one of them, Dr. Rand Paul, serves in the Senate for his home state of Kentucky
Please note: posts on this blog about political figures are written for information and education only, and do not imply endorsement unless otherwise stated.
Randall “Rand” Paul, M.D., opthalmologist
Dr. Rand Paul was a candidate for the Republican party nomination for President in 2016. He suspended his campaign before the party convention. He continues to serve as Senator from Kentucky.
About Dr. Paul
- Dr. Paul graduated from Duke University Medical School.
- He was elected Senator from Kentucky in 2010.
- He is married, has 3 children, and coached his children in Little League baseball, soccer and basketball.
- His father Dr. Ron Paul is an obstetrician/gynecologist, has served in the House of Representatives, and also ran for President.
- He has served as President of the Lions Club International .
- He provides eye surgery free of charge to people unable to pay in his home state of Kentucky.
- He has traveled around the world as a volunteer eye surgeon, providing care to people unable to pay; a recent trip was to Guatemala. He has received awards for his humanitarian work.
- A large part of Dr. Paul’s daily work as an ophthalmologist was dedicated to preserving the vision of our seniors. In 2002, The Twilight Wish Foundation recognized Dr. Paul for Outstanding Service and Commitment to Seniors.
- Dr. Paul has written books, including Our Presidents & Their Prayers: Proclamations of Faith by America’s Leaders
This is an affiliate link; readers who use it to purchase help fund this blog.
According to his official website,
Dr. Paul’s entrance into politics is indicative of his life’s work as a surgeon: a desire to diagnose problems and provide practical solutions, whether it be in Bowling Green, Ky., or Washington, D.C.
Senator Paul’s stand on health issues (as stated on his website)
I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution.
There are many in Washington who give lip service to the Second Amendment, but vote to restrict gun ownership once they begin serving in public office. Gun control laws only restrict access to responsible gun ownership.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) – commonly known as “Obamacare” (P.L. 111-148), rapidly expanded the powers of government into the health care system. Since the passage of Obamacare, states, businesses, and other institutions have filed Constitutional challenges to many of the burdensome provisions of the law.
another book by Senator Paul
Senator Paul and COVID-19
The Republican lawmaker tested positive for the virus in March 2020, becoming the first case of COVID-19 in the Senate.
“I appreciate all the best wishes I have received,” Dr. Paul said in an interview. “I have been retested and I am negative. I have started volunteering at a local hospital to assist those in my community who are in need of medical help, including coronavirus patients. Together we will overcome this.”
Dr. Paul, an opthalmologist, has been outspoken with opinions about SARS-CoV-2 and its management, often clashing with Dr. Anthony Fauci, an infectious disease expert and head of infectious disease at the NIH.