via Images of Disaster From Nepal.
Jesus told the story of the good Samaritan to answer the question, “Who is my neighbor? “ The term “good Samaritan” means a person who goes out of their way to help someone, especially a stranger, often at personal sacrifice .
The Parable of the Good Samaritan
It also answers the question “Who gives health care?” Though no medical professionals are in the story, many health care facilities and charitable organizations use the name. Health care includes the work done by non- healthcare employed people. They
- donate food to a local food bank
- deliver meals to homebound persons
- coach sports teams
- donate clothes, blankets and toiletries to a homeless shelter
- take an animal to visit residents of a nursing home
- help with clean up after a natural disaster
The answer to both questions is
“The one who showed mercy.”
More information about the work of Samaritan’s Purse