Pastors Rick and Kay Warren are the parents of a young man who suffered from mental illness and committed suicide. They are committed to destigmatizing this illness and helping other families cope.
Suicide seems random but is predictable. The majority of people who commit suicide have suffered from mental illness for a long time, and may even have had previous attempts; unfortunately, acquaintances, friends, even family may not know this.
Here are some facts about suicide
- Most suicide victims in the United States are white men.
- Guns are the most common means of suicide, followed by suffocation and poison.
- There is often a family history of mental illness and suicide .
- Major depression is the most common cause of suicide- 90% of victims.
- Suicide may be triggered by recent or prolonged stress and loss, serious health problems and chronic pain.
Don’t be afraid to reach out to someone who you think may be at risk of suicide. You may save that person’s life. Here are some resources to help you know what to do.
Print resources (purchase through these affiliate links may pay a commission to this blog; thank you)